Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Jesus' Heart Was Moved to Pity

In today's Gospel, Matthew 9: 32-38, Jesus drives a demon out of a mute man. He also goes around to "all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom, and curing every disease and illness. At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned."

Jesus does the same today in our world. He drives out demons when you and I are mute and unable to speak the truth or engage in the lives of others in meaningful and caring, loving ways, in ways that lead to reconciliation and forgiveness, in acceptance and understanding, not in judgment and criticism . When Jesus looks upon you and me, "his heart" is also  "moved with pity. Jesus knows when you and I  are troubled, upset and ready to take things into our own hands without relying upon Him for the wisdom and the help we need to do what is right or to seek the good and do good for ourselves and thus for others.

Am I willing to bring my troubles to the Lord? Am I willing to seek the Lord above all when I feel abandoned, misunderstood and judged or misjudged?  Or, when I slip into behaviors and attitudes that leave others feeling troubled and abandoned, do I go to the Lord and to the person I am offending, asking for enlightenment and forgiveness? Do I realize that when Jesus looks upon me that his heart is moved with pity and wants to right the wrongs within me and lead me to the truth that will make me free and empower me to free others from the kind of judging that the Pharisees in today's Gospel engaged in?


No comments:

Post a Comment