Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Favored by the Lord

In  today’s first reading, Amos 3: 1-8; 4: 11-12, the Lord says to us through the prophet:
“You alone (the Chosen People of Israel) have I favored, more than all the families of the earth; therefore I will punish you for all your crimes…..I brought upon you (allowed) such upheaval when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah: you were like a brand plucked from the fire (not all of Israel was destroyed in the burning lava); yet you returned not to me, says the Lord. …[P]repare to meet your God, O Israel.”
Those words sound so harsh! A merciful, loving God, we ask! 
Let us personalize the passage.  Hear God saying:  “You…,” [Dorothy-- put your name here], have I favored…; therefore I will punish [chastise] you for all your crimes [sins/transgressions].”  Is God a punishing God? I don’t think so. I believe that God is my parent who loves me. Any good, responsible, loving parent, I believe, will chastise his/her child, let that child know when he/she is doing wrong and place consequences on poor behavior. Why? Because any parent who loves his/her children wants them  to grow up strong and trustworthy, adherents of good, at peace with themselves  as the result of making good decisions, satisfying themselves by doing good in the world around them, making the world they live in a better place pleasing to their Creator God, to others and to themselves. 
Do I realize that when I make poor choices that consequences follow accordingly, as when I make good choices. That is true for individuals, for society, for governments, municipalities, civic and ecclesial authorities and so on; in short for all humankind!  Am I learning from the evil that I experience when I follow evil spirits? Am I grateful for the good I experience when I make wise choices in accord with the good that exists within me?

We are here to carry on the work of the Lord—contributing to God’s Kingdom here on earth as modeled for us by Jesus in the Gospels. How faithful am I to the purpose for which God put me here on earth?

No comments:

Post a Comment