Monday, June 6, 2016

A Non-slumbering God is the Lord

 In the first reading of today’s liturgy,  1 Kings 17: 1-6, Elijah tells Ahab that as long as he was serving the people, “there shall be no dew or rain except at my word.”  Imagine the uproar once the people heard Elijah’s proclamation. And what might have been their reaction at hearing that Elijah was  nowhere to be found.  The author of 1 Kings tells us that the Lord commanded Elijah to leave and “go east and hide in the Wadi Cherith, east of the Jordan.” There, God tells him, “[y]ou shall drink of the stream, and I have commanded ravens to feed you there.”  Elijah follows God’s command. As he settled by the Wadi Cherith, ravens “brought him bread and meat in the morning, and bread and meat in the evening and he drank from the stream.”

How can this be, I ask myself!  I may rant and rave:  “How unfair to the people he was serving!  And God protects him! What about the people whose land is being ravaged by drought?” 


Life is unfair, so it seems! Like Ahab and his people, we sometimes face drought (or flooding or fire) that destroys the land's ability to produce or, we ourselves are in an accident that deprives us of our ability to provide for ourselves or our families. At other times, like Elijah, we, too, have to relocate to protect ourselves and our families.  Sometimes, we do not know from where our next meal will come, yet it does. Someone reaches out to help us when we least expect it.  Sometimes, we are the ones helping others who have encountered tragedy.  When disaster strikes out of nowhere, it seems, God provides, as He did for Elijah.   As today's responsorial psalm says, the “guardian of Israel” neither slumbers or sleeps” (Ps. 121).

Lord, may I look upon life through the eyes of faith, knowing that you are beside me at my right hand (see Ps. 121). And may I remember this truth especially in "bad" times.  And, as important, may I remember that you have no hands or feet but mine. At times I am the "raven" you command to "feed" the hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment