Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Holiest Week of the Year!

This week we celebrate Holy Week, beginning with Palm Sunday, when Jesus marched into Jerusalem riding on a donkey. The people were extremely excited, waving palm branches, and shouting: Hosanna to our King. They were anticipating a king who would overthrow the Roman empire and take back the kingdom of Israel. What a let down when Jesus was arrested in the Garden of Gethsemane by guards sent by the chief priests and the Pharisees. Before Pilate, who questions his kingship, Jesus says: "Mine is not a kingdom of this world; if my kingdom were of this world, my men would have fought to prevent my being surrendered to the Jews. As it is, my kingdom does not belong here" (John 18: 36-37).

Before being crucified, Jesus is mocked and ridiculed!  He is clothed in royal robes after the scourging and a crown of thorns is put on his head. His torturers kneel before Him, blindfold Him and challenge Him to guess who spit upon Him or put a fist into his face. They then parade Him before the assembled crowd, who continue to demand that He be crucified. Pilate gives into the crowd and Jesus, the Son of God, the Sinless One,  is led to His execution with two other men being put to death for their criminal activity.  Jesus' apostles take flight, all of except John who follows Jesus to the hill of Calvary where He will be crucified.

Who am I in these scenes? Am I waving palm branches and shouting: "Hosanna to our King"? Am I Pilate, interrogating Jesus, wanting to know the truth but but unwilling to follow my truth when doing so is not what the majority are saying? Am I one of the apostles who abandons Jesus at the most crucial time of His life? Do I abandon a friend when he/she needs me most?  Am I the disciple who stood beneath the cross, giving comfort to both Jesus and His mother, no matter the consequences?

No comments:

Post a Comment