Sunday, March 27, 2016

Happy Easter: Looking for the Risen Christ

In the first resurrection story in John's Gospel, John 20: 1-18,  Mary of Magdala, while it is still dark goes to the tomb and finds the stone removed and the grave empty. She quickly runs to Peter and tells him that someone has stolen the body of Jesus and that "we do not know where they have put him."  Peter and the disciple whom Jesus loved run to the tomb. Peter goes into the tomb first and sees  the linen cloths on the ground. "The cloth that had been over [Jesus'] head was not with the linen cloths but rolled up in a place by itself".   The disciple whom Jesus loved entered the tomb. "[H]e saw and believed.

Meanwhile, Mary of Magdala stays outside the tomb weeping.  When the apostles leave, she "stooped to look inside, and saw two angels in white sitting where the body of Jesus had been...They said, 'Woman,  why are you weeping?' 'They have taken my Lord away...and I don't know where they have put him." She turns around and there, before he, stands the Risen Lord but she does not recognize him. Jesus says to her: "Woman, why are you weeping? Who are you looking for?"  She thinks it is the gardener talking to her and says to him: "Sir, if you have taken him away, tell me where you have put him,. and I will go and remove him."  Jesus says: "Mary!" Her eyes are opened!

Who am I in this story? Sometimes, in prayer, like Peter, I do not recognize the Lord. I leave with no sense of  a lively faith. At other times I am like John: I know and believe that I was with Jesus. Still, there are times when, like Mary of Magdala, my eyes remain closed and I do not recognize Jesus at all  until He whispers my name. And, yes, I recognize Him then.  That is the result of developing a personal relationship with the Lord by persevering in prayer and sharing all of your concerns, your feelings, and your worries with Jesus in prayer as you do with your best friend!




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your insights, as always, right on the mark.

    ReplyDelete