Thursday, December 3, 2015

Trusting in the Lord

In today's first reading, Is 26: 1-6, Isaiah exhorts us to "trust in the Lord forever! For the Lord is an eternal Rock."  This theme is reverberated in today's Gospel, Mt 7: 21, 24-27, where Jesus speaks about persons who build their houses on sand or on rock. If built upon rock, the house stands firm when the rains come and strong winds blow.  If not, "the house" collapses.  This week, when I again encountered a situation that went contrary to my hopes and seemed totally irrational and lacking justice, I lost it!  A "door"  was closed to me and a window opened. But I kept "pounding on the locked door".  I need to ask myself how profound or how deep is my trust ;and in whom do I trust? Do my reactions to the challenges and difficulties of life, to my encounters with others, when they are acting on principles that differ from mine, indicate a strong or a weak trust?  When my plans go awry, do my reactions reveal that "my house" is resting on sand?

In the responsorial psalm from today's liturgy, the psalmist says to us: "Give thanks to the Lord, for [the Lord] is good, for his mercy endures forever. It is better," the psalmist teaches, "to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in [human beings, male or female]. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes [princesses]."  I had to return to the Lord, my Rock,to the One in whose Love and Peace I move and live and have my being (cf. Acts 17:28) . As I rest in God's Love and Peace, the Lord molds my mind, cleanses my heart and recreates me into the person He designed me to be (See Jesus Calling,  November 10th meditation).

No comments:

Post a Comment