Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Parable of the Lost Son



Today’s Gospel is the parable of the Prodigal Son.  Who am I in that parable? The prodigal son who squanders his father’s inheritance  and, when things have gone horribly wrong returns to his father, begging for mercy: “I don’t deserve to be called your son; please treat me as one of your servants.”  Or am I the older son who is furious that his father accepted him back,  will not have anything to do with his brother or participate in any kind of  homecoming celebration. Or am I the father, who has been devastated by the loss of his son and has been waiting in agony for his return. Spotting him coming up the road toward the estate, he cannot contain his excitement or his joy.  He  runs to embrace him, orders that he be clothed in a rich robe, a ring put on his finger, and a banquet prepared of choicest foods. A huge celebration begins. 

I think of how I react when someone has done anything but deserve respect, has angered many and, all of a sudden, appears in good graces as though nothing has happened and is lavished with praise and adulations and much more. I am likely to say: “I can’t believe so-and-so is so kind to that person or speaks so highly of him/her. More times than not,  I am  the elder son, though I can also be the younger one. I can also be the compassionate father, all excited when someone who has abandoned my immediate or extended family or has left the faith family returns.  What an incredible time to celebrate.  

If I am the “elder son” or the “younger son,” I obviously need to repent. In my repentance, God will treat me the same way the father in this parable treated his lost son.  God is lavish with His mercy and all of us depend upon that mercy day in and day out and especially when we return to God at the end of our life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment