Monday, March 9, 2015

Humility, Faith and "Miracles" in Ordinary Ways of Life

In today's first reading, 2 Kings 5: 1-15b, we are given the story of Naaman, the leper. A little girl says: "If only my master would present himself to the prophet in Samaria, he would be cured of his leprosy." No fanfare on the part of the little girl. No extravagant effort to impress, to parade one's importance as Naaman employed. No shananigans! "Just go; present yourself to the prophet. You will be healed." What does Naaman do? He takes an abundance of riches with him and presents them to the King of Israel, who reacts angrily and with suspicion. "He only comes to pick a fight with me." The king of Israel goes ballistic, so to speak, and tears his garment. "Go to the prophet. I'm not a god." Naaman goes to the prophet and is expecting something spectacular, an amqazing show of God's power. No such thing. "Go down to the river and immerse yourself seven times and you will be healed." Naaman is insulted. "What? Immerse myself in a river in Israel? We have rivers in Syria. No way," he bulks. His servants "pull his bluff," confront his pride and tell it as it is. Naaman is challenged to become like a little child and listen to the prophet. He does so and is healed. Does my pride block me from the miracles God would work in my life? Is my pride the reason I am cut off from seeing God's Spirit at work in the ordinary events of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment