Thursday, February 5, 2015

Discipleship: Its Challenges, Hopes, and Fears



In today’s Gospel, Mark 6: 7-13, Jesus sends his disciples out in twos to spread the Good News, to heal the sick and cast out demons.  Sometimes they succeeded. At other times they did not.  On the Lake of Geneserath, when they encountered a storm, they  doubted that Jesus cared that they could have drowned, as He was soundly asleep in the stern of the boat. Awakened by their frightened call, Jesus quieted the raging waters and confronted them on their lack of faith.

The apostle’s faith and trust in the Lord would continue to be tested.  One of them denied Jesus; another betrayed Him.  All of the apostles doubted the resurrection and, except for John, ran away in the heat of the battle. No one but John stood beneath the cross on Calvary. In the Garden of Gethsemane, the three apostles that Jesus took with Him fell asleep during His agony. 

Sound familiar?   We, too, walk that same journey of faith. At times, we do not succeed. Our efforts leave no results that we can see. We fall asleep, inattentive to that which calls out for our love, our caring, our encouragement!  Doubts assail us. Our faith is shattered from time and time as we encounter setbacks, failures, and challenges that baffle us. When I fail in these ways, I wonder what I would ever do if I faced persecution, martyrdom, torture for the sake of Christ. Some of our fellow Christians do and are being tortured, persecuted, martyred as I write this. Lord, I know, you stand at their side. You also stand at my side through the daily experiences of every day. When I am weak, You are strong.  I believe that even when my faith seems buried beneath the “rubble” of life. I believe that, Lord, even when, like the apostle in that terrifying storm, I cry out to You:  “Don’t you see I am about to die in some way, that I am desperately in need of your intervention”. Even when I say: “You have abandoned me, Lord,” I still, deep down somewhere in my being, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment