Friday, January 2, 2015

Who are you and whose are you?



In today’s Gospel,  John 1: 19-28, John is approached by leading citizens of his day, wondering who he is.  “Who are you?” John immediately clears the air, as he knows that they are searching for the Anointed One, the promised Messiah.  He says: “I am not the Christ.” They continue to press him to reveal his identity. “What are you then? Are you Elijah?....Are you the Prophet?”  He answers an emphatic “no” to each of those questions.   “What,” then, “do you have to say for yourself?”  I am the voice of one crying out in the desert, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord.”

“What do you have to say for yourself?” I recall being asked that question by my parents when I had done something of which they disapproved.  I stood there filled with shame for the wrongdoing I had done. In the first reading,  1 John 2: 22-28, John encourages us to “remain in him [in Christ Jesus], so that when he appears we may have confidence and not be put to shame by him at his coming.” Part of remaining in Jesus is remaining on the path to truth, listening to the Spirit’s guidance and, not only hearing that voice, but doing what the Spirit directs us to do.  “If what…[I] heard from the beginning [that Jesus is Lord of heaven and earth, that Jesus came to save us, that He comes to us in the sacraments, hidden in the consecrated bread and wine, active in the Scriptures] remains in…[me], then…[I] will remain in the Son and in the Father. And this is the promise that he had made us: eternal life.” 

I do believe, Lord. Help my unbelief!

No comments:

Post a Comment