Tuesday, May 6, 2014

God's Bread: Never Be Hungry Again


In today’s Gospel, John 6: 30-35, Jesus says to the crowd that is pressuring Him for a sign “so that we can put faith in you.”   The crowd reminds Jesus that  heir ancestors “had manna to eat in the desert”  that, “according to the Scriptures,”  came down from heaven.  Jesus  responds:  “I solemnly assure you,  it was not Moses who gave you bread from the heavens; it is my Father who gives you the real heavenly bread. God’s bread comes down from heaven and gives life to the world…I myself am the Bread of Life. No one who comes to me shall ever be hungry; no one who believes in me shall ever thirst again.”
The Jews’ ancestors did hunger again. Every morning the manna reappeared. It did not last.  When you and I eat the “Bread of Life,” when we believe in Jesus and follow God’s will we never hunger or never thirst.  O, the power of the resurrection of the Lord. O, the power and the strength of the Truth Who is God Incarnate, who is the Eternal Word made flesh, who nourishes us in the Eucharist, in the Scriptures, through the Spirit who dwells within the depths of our beings! O, the power and the wisdom and the humility and the love and mercy of our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment