Friday, May 2, 2014

Divine Origin, Indestructible; Human Origin, Destructible


In today’s first reading, Acts 5: 34-42, Gamaliel, a Pharisee in the Sanhedrin, says to those who had arrested the Apostles:  “Fellow children of Israel, be careful what you are about to do to these men. Some time ago, Theudas appeared, claiming to be someone important, and about 400 men joined him, but he was killed, and all those who were loyal to him were disbanded and came to nothing….…[H]ave nothing to do with these men, and let them go. For if this endeavor or this activity is of human origin, it will destroy itself. But if it comes from God, you will not be able to destroy them; you may even find yourself fighting against God.”

What a statement! And something for each of us to consider.  If what I am, or anyone else,  is doing is of human origin, it will destroy itself. It will not last. It will fade and disappear. If it is of divine origin, nothing will destroy it. If you or I act against it, we will be acting against God. If you or I fight it, we will be fighting God Himself.

Lord, may I have the courage today to examine what I am doing. Are my activities flowing from your will or are they originating from my will?  Are they of human or divine origin?   As I look around the world today, Lord, instead of  getting all upset about things of human origin may I be reminded of what Gamaliel said to his fellow Israelites.  May I also  have “the serenity to  accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

No comments:

Post a Comment