Wednesday, December 25, 2013

O Blessed Christmas Morning!

MERRY CRISTMAS!

As I reflect upon the meaning of Christmas, I am speechless. “How, I asked myself, am I to share any of my thoughts?”  My mind seemed blank, as I sat in silent contemplation of today’s liturgical readings. The words that came to me were: “I adore you, O Christ, and I bless you because by your holy…[love], you have redeemed the world.”   How to imagine that our God came into this world as a tiny, vulnerable infant--God hidden within human nature:  the infant Jesus, the little boy Jesus, the adolescent Jesus, the man Jesus as Immanuel with us. How awesome!  Why would God, the second person of the Blessed Trinity, ever leave heaven to come to earth, to enter our existence and become a human being? Love and mercy beyond all telling. For all eternity, once sin entered this world, and even before humankind turned against God, a plan was already in place to mend a broken relationship, to restore unity between God and humankind, to bring us back to God, from whom we strayed.  What love! What mercy! That tiny, vulnerable baby is God come to save us, God fulfilling an eternal plan to reconcile us, to heal us, to make us whole again, to reopen the gates to Eternal Life.  Imagine the angels, unable to contain their joy in heaven, breaking through to earth to sing God’s praises at Bethlehem, at every Eucharistic celebration, at every baptism, Confirmation, Holy Communion,  and celebration of Reconciliation, at every marriage, at every Anointing of the Sick, at all ordinations. God with us in all the ways that grace is received into our lives—a reality that began when God becomes human like us in all things but sin so that  we, through grace, could, ultimately, become like God in holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment