Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Importance of Honesty in Relationships


In today’s Gospel,  Mk 11: 27-33, the chief priests, the scribes and the elders pose a question to Jesus: “By what authority are you doing these things?” He comes back with a question for them and tells them he will respond to their questioning,  revealing  Himself to them, if they are honest with Him. His question to them is:  “Was John’s baptism of heavenly or of human origin?” Their response “we do not know” is a cover-up of their truth. So the discussion ends and so does any possibility of getting to know Jesus as Savior and Lord.

 Without honesty, God cannot relate to us; our relationship with God is stymied.  God is truth; He deals in reality, not in fantasy or denial.  How honest am I with God and others?  Or do I hide what I am thinking and feeling?  If so, the relationship freezes in that time and place.  Love and authentic intimacy on a spiritual, emotional and intellectual plane is contingent on how transparent we are with one another.  If I am being dishonest, I need to look at what am I hiding and  of what am I afraid?  To “thaw out” and become fully human, I need to answer those questions with God and with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment