Thursday, December 2, 2021

Making rightful choices!

 Frequently, a person will say: "God is in charge."  As I reflect upon today's first reading, Isaiah 26: 1-6, that phrase comes to my mind. It is strong because, as  Isaiah reminds us, Yahweh that a "strong city have we; he (Yahweh) sets up walls and ramparts to protect us." The prophets asks us to "[o]pen up the gates to let in a nation that is just, one that keeps faith," faith in the Just One, faith in God, a warrior God, a God who saves.  God, Isaiah continues, sustains peace for a "nation of firm purpose," a nation that puts "its trust" in God.  "Trust in the Lord forever! For the Lord is an eternal Rock,"  says the psalmist.  In whom do I put my trust? To whom do I open myself?  Who/what do I let in?

In the Gospel of today, Mt 7: 21, 24-27, Jesus tells us that a person who listen to His words, "will be like a wise [person] who built his house on rock. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. But it did not collapse."  The media, if we allow it, will flood our minds with false information, will fill us with despairing thoughts, negative thinking, thoughts of anger, resentments and revenge.  I can protect myself by prayer, holy reading, and solitude, resting in the Lord!  



No comments:

Post a Comment