Sunday, July 11, 2021

Being Open to the Truth That I Need to Hear

 In today's first reading, Amos 7: 12-15, Amaziah, the priest of Bethel, commands the prophet Amos to leave Bethel. He does not want him prophesying in his land: "Off with you, visionary, flee to the land of Judah!"  In other words, a prophet is not welcome in Bethel--"  "...[I]t is the king's sanctuary and a royal temple,"  Amaziah proudly tells Amos. 

A prophet is someone, in my mind, who comes to tell the truth about a situation to which I may be blind. Cozy in my comfort zone, I may not want to be disturbed and especially not from someone who is carrying a message that I need to hear!

To whom might I say: "Off with you, visionaries"?  Or to whom might I refer as follows:  "Tell those religion people to leave my property"!  Or whom do I avoid because I do not want to hear what they have to say because they are speaking a truth that I really need to hear? These are the people who may be messengers from God.

Lord, open my heart to the truth that you send to me through your "prophets": a neighbor, a spouse, a child, a member from my parish (the priest, the minister, the deacon, a fellow parishioner), a co-worker, a neighbor!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment