Monday, March 15, 2021

The Other: A Mirror of Myself!

 In today's first reading, Isaiah 65: 17-21, the Lord gives us the following message through the prophet Isaiah:  "Lo, I am about to create new heavens and a new earth; the things of the past shall not be remembered or come to mind. Instead, there shall always be rejoicing and happiness in what I create; for I create Jerusalem to be as joy and its people to be a delight; I will rejoice in Jerusalem and exult in my people." 

We are approaching spring and all things will be recreated: the bare trees, the leafless bushes and the brown laws will become green again.  Birds will lay eggs and a variety of animals and fishes will mate.  New life will appear throughout this spring season!  God's creative power of love is forever bringing forth new life within the universe and within ourselves, even when we do not see the newness.   

And as at the first creation, God looks upon His creation and says: "It is very good!"  In this passage from Isaiah, God says:  "...I create Jerusalem to be a joy and its people to be a delight!"  Yes, God, says to you and to me: I have created you "to be a delight; I...exult in my people,"  that is, I exult in you, (insert your name)!

What keeps you/me from realizing that God exults in us? What keeps you/me from exulting in another person? Am I/are you, in fact, looking for the good in another, in ourselves or are we focused on weaknesses and faults in the other, in ourselves?  What if we changed our focus and looked for the good in another person and in ourselves each day! It is important to remember that what bothers me about another person is that that same weakness/sin exists in me! What I despise or condemn in another person is what I despise and condemn in me!  And the good I admire in another, also, exists in me!






No comments:

Post a Comment