Sunday, July 19, 2020

The Spirit's Aid

In today's second reading, Romans 8: 26-27, we read that the "Spirit comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes with inexpressible groanings. And the one who searches hearts knows what is the intention of the spirit because he intercedes for the holy ones according to God's will."

How consoling this passage is for me.  I view the world each day! I listen to the news each evening! I groan!  And the Spirit groans within me, interceding for me, and us,  according to God's holy will. It is, I know, God's will that people turn from evil and do good, that good seed is sown each day, not weeds, as mentioned in today's Gospel, Matthew 13: 24-43.  It is God's will that each of us triumphs over evil and is not destroyed by it! It is God's will that I grow in faith, hope and love; that my faith is strengthened by the victories He's achieved for me and that I learn from my mistakes, not despair or give up striving to do better! It is God will that I find Him in each of the day's events, in each person I encounter and within myself. God does not give up in His determination to make me whole and holy. As I groan in my efforts to "climb the mountain of the Lord," so, too does the Holy Spirit and so I "inch" forward , one step at a time, toward my eternal goal: union with God here and forever and with one another in love in the same way!

God be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment