Friday, August 17, 2018

Clothed with the splendor of God

In today's first reading, Ezekiel 16: 1-5, 6 63, the Lord makes known to us, through the prophet Ezekiel, the condition of the nation Israel and of all of humankind without God's intervention.  Seeing the pitiable state of His people--born without being washed nor anointed, thrown to the ground, discarded, loathed upon by other nations--God looks upon Israel, and us, with compassion. "....I swore an oath to you and entered into a covenant with you; you are mine, says the Lord God. ...I bathed you with water, washed away your blood, and anointed you with oil. I clothed you with an embroidered  gown, put sandals of fine leather on your feet; I gave you a fine linen sash and silk robes to wear. I adorned you with jewelry....You were exceedingly beautiful, with the dignity of a queen. You  were renowned among the nations for your beauty, perfect as it was because of my splendor which I had bestowed on you, says  the Lord God." 

That description fits us who have been baptized with water and redeemed with Jesus' blood poured out upon the cross for our salvation. In grace, we have been clothed with dignity and made righteous in the sight of our God.  In God's sight, the redeemed, you and I, are "exceedingly beautiful," bearing the dignity of a queen or a king.  We are made perfect in God's sight "because," God says to us, "of my splendor which I had bestowed on you" in Christ Jesus, my Son sent to show you the depth of my love for you!

I believe this!  What is your belief?

No comments:

Post a Comment