Wednesday, July 18, 2018

A Prophet's Warning

In today's first reading, Isaiah 10: 5-7, 13b-16, the Lord God again warns Assyria, saying: Woe to Assyria! My rod in anger, my staff in wrath." As God watches the poor being neglected, truth being scorned  and lies being protected, could God be saying to us: "Woe to you"? As justice is being eroded by persons who have assumed the position of being guiltless and beyond reproach,  I believe that we need to get on our knees and beg Jesus to send the Holy Spirit, opening our eyes to God's presence, our ears to God's voice giving direction, our wills to follow God's precepts and our hearts to love and act on God's decrees!  "Against an impious nation," God sends prophets and prophetesses, warning us of being deceived by the powerful and cunning men of this world! Are we, am I, listening?  Are we, am I, seeing?

De we realize when other people and when we ourselves are, in fact,  saying: "By my own power I have done it [whatever good we project we may be doing, even when that good may actually be harmful for the people we are called to protect]? Do we realize when we, or others, are also saying: "...I have done it,...by my wisdom, for I am shrewd."  Are there times when we rejoice in having "put down the enthroned," by our power, by bullying, by making fun of others, by whatever means to this end?  The prophet points out the wrong being done by people of power in his day, when, in fact, they say:   [L]ike a giant, I have put down the enthroned; my hand has seized like a nest the riches of nations".  It seems that persons in power in our day are "seizing like a nest the riches" of others.   The question, however, that I need to ask myself is: Am I competing to be richer than others and willing to go to any expense to raise myself  above others in material or other kinds of riches?

The prophet asks the questions:  ....Will the axe boast against him [the bully] who hews with it? Will the saw exalt itself above him [the bully] who wields it? As if a rod could sway him [the bully] who lifts, or a staff him who is not wood! Therefore the Lord will send among his fat ones leanness, and instead of his  glory there will be kindling like the kindling of fire."

Is it time for us to heed the prophet's words? Is it possible that we have the "an impious nation" and the bully?

No comments:

Post a Comment