Monday, May 1, 2017

For What and for Whom Am I Looking?

In today's Gospel, John 6: 22-29, the crowd of 5000 men, whom Jesus had just fed the day before with 5 loaves and 2 fishes, went in search of Jesus. They found him on the other side of the sea.  They ask Him: "Rabbi, when did you get here?"  Jesus answers them:  "Amen, amen, I say to you, you are looking for me not because you saw signs but because you ate the loaves and were filled."

Our motivations are not hidden from Jesus.  He knows what we are up to, all of the time, and easily could say to us when we attempt to pull the wool over his eyes: "Don't give me that. I know why you are here! I know for what you are looking.  Your motivations are clear to me, even is you are not being honest with Me or others or with yourself. Jesus is not being sassy with us but letting us know that we need to be honest and inviting us to be so.  Are we looking for Jesus? Truly? Are we, in fact, looking to do the will of God and how to build up the Kingdom or are we pursuing  self-interests, especially at the expense of others?

May we, through the work of the Spirit within us, grow in awareness of our motivations and come clean with God, with others and with ourselves. May we seek the Truth that sets us free!

No comments:

Post a Comment