Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Choosing to make Christ known to the World

In today’s first reading, Ephesians 3: 2-12, St. Paul speaks about the “mystery of Christ” made known, first,  to the “Apostles and holy prophets by the Spirit,” and then to the Gentiles, that is to each of us. We are “coheirs, members of the same Body, and co-partners in the promise in Christ Jesus through the Gospel.”  In baptism, each of us has become “a minister by the gift of God’s grace.” God’s power, the power of the Holy Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit, were poured forth upon us in baptism, confirmation, Eucharist, Reconciliation, and all of the sacraments. The grace given to each one of us is unique so that you and I are capable of fulfilling the purpose for which God created us. We are his possession, placed here to accomplish God’s will for us: to make the world a better place, to communicate God’s love, mercy and forgiveness, first to ourselves so that we can pass those gifts of God onto others by living an authentic, holy, purposeful life.  We are to be disseminating “the inscrutable riches of Christ” to others in our families, our religious communities, our workplaces, and in all of our relationships. We are to “bring to light for all what is the plan of the mystery hidden from ages past in God who created all things, so that the manifold wisdom of God might now be known…”


What am I making known?   Am I making God known or (insert your name) known? Am I communicating God’s love for those with whom I live and work and pray and play? Or am I a source of positive or negative energy; that is, am I dampening spirits, demeaning others, making fun of others, humiliating others, bringing others down to the level of ugliness that ungodly behaviors spew forth from sin within me?  Or am I disseminating the good, the beautiful,  that which is sanctifying and purifying, that which brings hope and radiates love: powers that reside in the core of my being where I am one with God and God with me? Am I bringing light or darkness into the world in which I live? The choices are mine to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment