Saturday, March 2, 2013

A Compassionate God, A Loving God, A Waiting God, A Grateful God


In the Gospel for today, Lk 15: 1-3, 11-32, Jesus tells the parable of the prodigal son. As we reflect upon that parable, we might  pray as follows:

Jesus, I am the prodigal over and over again. Each time I turn off the path that transforms my attitudes, my thoughts, and my behaviors into those that are prompted by grace, You await my return. Each day You peer down the path I have taken that distances me from being the disciplined, loving, patient, kind, forgiving woman (man), spouse, mother/father, Sister/Priest, employee/employer, servant/recipient of service You call me to be.  You wait for me to turn around (metanoia) and recognize that I have chosen a path that alienates me from my true self, from others and from You. You wait lovingly for any sign that I have turned around and when I do You excitedly rush toward me.   You cast behind You all of my sins and totally rejoice in my return!

 Imagine Jesus hugging you, throwing a party for you, rejoicing in heaven with all of the angels and saints! Yes, Jesus truly rejoices each time you and I turn back to Him. And He waits for that, every time we stray, every time we make choices that are not in tune with His Father’s will for us.  What an awesome God, a God about whom the prophet Micah in today’s first reading says: 

Who is there like you, the God who removes guilt and pardons sin for the remnant of his inheritance; who does not persist in anger forever, but delights rather in clemency, and will again have compassion on us, treading underfoot our guilt?  You will cast into the depths of the sea all our sins (recall the time Jesus sent the demons into the herd of 2000 pigs, all of whom drown in the sea)…. (Micah 7: 14-15, 18-20).
 
This is your God, folks! And mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment