Monday, September 3, 2012

Faith built on the power of God and the wisdom of the Cross


We read in today’s first reading Paul’s  resolve “to know nothing…but Christ Jesus and him crucified. I came to you in weakness…and my message and my proclamations were not with persuasive words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of spirit and power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God”   (1 Cor 2: 1-5).

Many times we humans experience our weaknesses, our lack of knowledge and a short supply of wisdom when making a decision.   However, we also know when the strength of God, the knowledge of God, the wisdom of the Spirit is manifested in what we do and say.  Like Christ, the Father is at work in us. Jesus says in John 14: 10-12: "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves. Most assuredly, I say to you, ...[those] who [believe] in Me, the works that I do he [she] will do also (my emphasis); and greater works than these [she]/he will do, because I go to My Father.” 

Is that truth not what St. Paul is saying to us when he says that his words (and works) are a demonstration of the spirit and the power of God?

My prayer is that our eyes will be opened to the spirit and the power of God at work within us, through us, and around us in the lives of others with whom we live and work!

No comments:

Post a Comment